12/02/18Well I’ve touched down onto almost freezing British soil for the first time in two weeks (it’s amazing how quickly time passes when you love what you do) and as I’ve pre booked my train ticket home and got through security quicker than expected (even if passport security did make me take off my glasses and look at him bleary eyed and make up- free, never a good look!) then instead of hanging around aimlessly I’m having a coffee and some creative time by blogging whilst I wait. It certainly seems to be grabbing snippets of time like this- (such as the inspiration when on the plane to Kuwait last time!) when I can do this as everything is getting increasingly busy with the business – between the exciting ongoing client work and current projects plus trying to grow and offer more to existing and new clients.
Some people may think that the blogging and the new vlogging which the wider business and I have been doing is pointless and serves nothing . However I disagree and find being open about the work we are doing, the international events and global business trips we are involved in is insightful, hopefully to some extent inspires others to start internationalising their businesses and helps to demystify the export process. It also allows us personally to reflect on what we have experienced overseas, how this has added to our existing knowledge and ever growing global network as well as how from a personal perspective these experiences have been so incredibly enriching. I know we do a good job for our clients when overseas but I also know that this is also a privilege to be able to do this kind of work and I certainly don’t take it for granted (even if I do moan that Dubai gets colder every January!)
So what has Bolst Global achieved over the past two weeks during the first 2018 gulf trip?
1. Developed an important business relationship in Kuwait for a client as well as started more potential business opportunities there for others, not to mention understood much more about the market there in a variety of food and drink categories.
2. Developed more business relationships in the UAE for two other clients – new distributor on boarded for one and another one again we are progressing with very positively.
3. Demonstrated to another client the HUGE potential of exporting via convincing him to exhibit at Arab Health – which I have to say has been the BEST show I think we’ve ever done there (those hundreds of pre show emails and the prep paid off all plus the existing network we have there).
4. The many conversations -oh wow! The amount of fantastic people from around the world we have started speaking to or reconnected with these past two weeks and particularly at Arab Health has been incredible. Former business partners, new interested ones, other exhibitors, other collaborators. And all of this will lead to bigger and better business for clients as a result -and for those who become part of the Bolst Global community in the future.
I really enjoy listening to others, understanding their businesses, cultures, world views- how they live their lives, the choices they make and the kind of people they are. And I think this curiosity and appetite for knowledge and understanding is a value running through the Bolst Global business that helps us really shine and analyse markets and partners in a much more analytical and in depth way.
I’ve networked till the early hours, I’ve taken 11pm business meetings, I’ve had pre trade show meetings, got up at the crack of dawn to take part in a cross fit competition in Dubai, I’ve sat and had shisha in great company putting the world to rights, I’ve talked until my voice has almost gone…
5. Most of all through doing this I am learning some important things about myself – the kind of person and business owner I am becoming, how I want to work and balance various aspects of life and what is truly important to me and to those who are part of the Bolst Global team.
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed myself on the whole and I have had FUN in doing all this.
Because ultimately if you can’t do that then what’s the point in it all??
Now it’s back the office for the follow up from this trip and the frantic preparations for the next where Gulfood and a trip to Dubai and Saudi Arabia are calling…
Happy exporting everyone!